Tuesday, February 3, 2009

One reason I love winter

I went to the beach this morning, and I was the only one there.

It was raining lightly (which probably has as much to do with why I was the only one there as the season does), but I was driving instead of walking so I stayed dry. I enjoyed watching the seagulls and pipers finding (and munching) their breakfast. I smiled at the waves rolling in, and was really happy when the rain stopped long enough that I could jump out of the Jeep and go touch the ocean. (I hadn't touched salt water in two days!) I took great pleasure in the quiet, with only the sound of the Atlantic to keep me company.

But most of all, I loved the drive back to the village via South Point Road. If you've never had the pleasure of going down South Point Road (and you have a four wheel drive vehicle), I highly recommend you try it next time you have the chance. It's beautiful at all times of year. This morning, I enjoyed views of dark green marsh grasses, waving sea oats, gray-silver brush, the Lighthouse in the distance (which was on when I first saw it, because it was so overcast, but then turned off as I drove), and one startled egret who took wing as I went by him (my Jeep is old and muffler-challenged). It was a lovely, peaceful few minutes. I think I'll do it again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, how blessed you are!

Ocrakate said...

Thanks Rebecca! You are right about that...and I try to remember to count those blessings every day. (That's one of the reasons I touch salt water...it's a good reminder.)