Monday, February 2, 2009

New restaurant

There's a building on the island which has been home to several restaurants. It has housed three eateries that I've experienced myself (Saucy Shrimp, Sargasso, and Mango Loco), and I think I ate there when it was whatever it was before it was Saucy Shrimp, too. (If I had a better memory, I'd be able to tell you the name it had then).

Anyway, it's about to be yet another restaurant: Riley's. I saw the new sign being put up a couple of days ago. According to the sign, it will be an Italian restaurant ("Pizza, Pasta, Pub", it says) with options for "eat in, take out, or delivery".

I like Italian food. Actually, I love Italian food. All pasta is my friend, and lasagna is my absolute favorite food ever. But we already have fantastic pasta options (and wonderful pizza) available from Jason's. And, if you feel like delivery, the Ocracoke Pizza Company will be happy to oblige. I'm sure I will enjoy Riley's, but I sure wish someone would open a restaurant we don't already have. My suggestions: barbecue (North Carolina style, of course), or authentic Mexican (not Mexi-Caribbean as Mango Loco offered).

Just my two cents.

5 comments:

TomC said...

Its funny how certain locations just seem to be jinxed - no matter who is there. That's how I feel about the building now housing Riley's. That said, I really do wish them the best of luck and I'll give them a try on my next visit. I did enjoy both Sargasso and Mango Loco. I agree with you Kati that it would be great for someone to bring in something different. I'd love to see a good BBQ joint on Ocracoke!

Ocrakate said...

Hi Tom ~ I certainly wish Riley's the best too...and in that building, they maybe need best wishes even more than your average new business!

By the way, here's an update on Riley's: they are already open. I assumed they were working in there, planning and getting ready for a spring opening, but the other day I noticed the sign says they are open now. I've talked to a few people who have tried their food, who said it was excellent and very reasonably priced. I'll give it a try soon, and post a blog with my thoughts.

jewel said...

We have been to Ocracoke three times so far. This last time we went we rode bikes around the island and when we where done we was starving!!! We didn't want to eat there because how much it costs to just get a burger. We went to Riley's and oh man was it GOOD!!!!! I have tryed many pizza's and have always looked for a good pizza. All we have here is Pizza hut and in some places a Papa's pizza and a Nick and Nates (which I really don't like). I would love for Riley's to come to Cherokee NC!! All the food that we got there was Great!! I hope they have many happy years now I have to wait another year so I can eat pizza because who can eat pizza hut after that?

Ocrakate said...

Hi Jewel ~ glad you enjoyed Riley's. FYI, I have heard (but not confirmed) that they have raised their prices somewhat. I haven't tried their pizza yet, but I think (at least for me) it will be hard to beat Jason's. I'm biased, though; I adore Jason's pizza.

Anonymous said...

Now Riley's is no more, that was the quickest of them all. Closed in mid season, July 5. Next batter up.