Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Stars and stillness

After yet another potluck, followed by the Civic and Business Association meeting, I stopped by Silver Lake for my salt water moment. It is a beautiful evening: warm, still and clear. Multitudes of stars are easily visible, both above in the dark sky and also reflected in the completely still surface of the harbor. I stood at the edge of the water for a minute, enjoying the image and listening to the...well, to nothing. It is wonderfully quiet.

The Geminid meteor shower is happening now, and tomorrow night (Dec. 13) is supposed to be the peak of the activity. Unfortunately I have to get up early on Friday the 14th, so there will be no star gazing for me on the peak night. Tonight is so lovely and clear, however, that I think I may try it this evening. I'll set my alarm for the middle of the night, then get up to see what I can see. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

Links to more info. about the Geminids:
space.com article
Top 10 Tips article - this one has a great picture!
Nasa article - the science behind the Geminid shower

Happy stargazing!

No comments: