Thursday, December 27, 2007

Open-ish

Jocelyn and I went shopping today. We went into several stores, although not everything is open. The sign on one of the stores spoke volumes about living in a small town. It said "We are open Monday through Saturday from 10ish to 4 or 5ish. If we are not here and you need something, call Leslie at ... "

Another small town moment which I really enjoyed today happened when I realized that my wallet with cash and credit cards was in my car at the garage. I was not at all concerned about that fact, but did want to go get the money (paper and plastic) to go shopping. I went into Jimmy's garage, where they greeted me by name, asked how Christmas had been, and told me to go ahead and grab whatever I needed from the car.

In every store, we chatted with the staff about how Christmas had been, and life in general. On the way home from shopping, we stopped to visit DeAnna. We traded stories and laughed together for a couple of hours. Later in the evening, Sundae stopped by to deliver Christmas gifts for us. She passed on a request from her kids that I go outside to say goodbye to them, as they will be leaving tomorrow on the 7 AM ferry to spend the winter in Florida. We chatted for a few minutes, then traded hugs and goodbyes. I'll miss them and look forward to seeing them when they get back again.

Just another day of loving life in my favorite town, where I enjoy being known, being of use, and being home. (With credit to Sundae.)

No comments: