Friday, January 1, 2010

Shopping

I am not a big shopper. I have been accused of shopping more like a man than a woman, meaning I go into a store for the purpose of buying a specific thing (or perhaps a list of specific things), I go get those things, pay for them, and leave. Yes, I may add a few extra things that I hadn't thought to put on my list, but then when I saw them I realized I needed them (only in grocery stores, or when shopping for household items at Target, etc.) I don't generally "go shopping" just for fun.

Except on New Year's Day, when (for two years running now), I go to Books to be Red for Leslie's annual "No Football Zone" open house even though I don't necessarily "need" anything specific from there. Why? Well, there are several reasons.
- I love books, so I can always find something to buy there.
- I love Books to be Red, so I can always find something to buy there.
- People who know and love me know that I love books and Books to be Red, so I usually get at least one gift certificate for the shop as a Christmas gift.
- I know I will get to see and chat with some of my friends if I go, since many of them will go at some point, too. The longer I browse, the more friends I'll get to see.
- Leslie provides delicious snacks and wine at her open houses. Here's the evidence:



There's also evidence of Leslie's sense of humor in that picture. Yes, that bowl at the front contains Goody's headache powder and Alka Seltzer, in case you need some. It is the day after midnight revelry for many people, after all!

A Southern custom says that you are supposed to have black eyed peas and greens (collards or the like) on New Year's Day to bring good luck and wealth. Leslie had a bowl of black eyed peas on the counter in a nod to the tradition.



I shall now return to my usual non-shopping persona. Except I do need a few things, like a DVD player for the flat screen TV my sister got John for Christmas and a game or two for the Wii I got from Damon. Online shopping, here I come!

No comments: