Sunday, January 3, 2010

Icy

It is really cold here today, a fact which is most likely not surprising to you since it seems that many areas (especially in NC) are having a colder-than-usual snap right now.

Anyway, there are many icy areas around the village, including this large patch near the Assembly of God Church.



(Sorry the photo isn't great...I forgot my camera, so I took this with my phone instead. It'll do in a pinch, but doesn't have the resolution of my camera, unfortunately.)

I heard this morning that there was even ice on the sea oats at the beach! Part of the reason it is this cold is that the wind is blowing at around 40 knots. As a result, the mainland ferries didn't run today, and the Hatteras ferries ran a slightly limited schedule. There is overwash at Rodanthe (as usual), which is expected to freeze tonight, making travel that way potentially hazardous. So if you're planning to drive through there, be careful! And stay warm, wherever you are...

No comments: