Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sad 4th of July

This morning, shortly before 9 AM, I heard a loud bang. I thought for a second that it might have been a sonic boom from a military aircraft from the Marine Air Station at Cherry Point (we hear those out here ocassionally). But then I heard - and felt - another really loud bang, and I knew something had exploded. I immediately thought, "oh, no, it's the fireworks". But then I thought, surely not.

It turns out, unfortunately and tragically, that my first thought was correct. The crew from Melrose Pyrotechnics of South Carolina, who have been putting on the annual 4th of July fireworks show for the island for the last few years, were unloading the truck carrying the fireworks when it exploded.

Initial reports (you can read one here and another here) were that one person was killed and four critically injured, but if I understood correctly something that I heard a while ago, all five of the men involved have now passed away. (I will update if I find out that is not the case.)

[Update at 4PM - I must have misunderstood what I heard. All official sources are reporting 1 fatality, 4 injuries (all critical condition). I heard (unofficially) that one of the 4 injured passed away en route to treatment.]

The parade planned for 3 PM today will not take place out of respect for the victims of this tragic accident and their families. [Update: the parade has been rescheduled for 3 PM on Sunday July 5th.]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this info, Kati.
I've been waiting for your report...yours was the best !!!

This is so tragic.

Pat....

Ocrakate said...

Thanks Pat. It was a difficult thing to have to post about, but I did want to help keep people informed.

Tammy Elrod said...

Kati,

I am so sorry for this tragedy. We will be praying for the people of the island and the families who were impacted.

Tammy