Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Darkness

I volunteered at Bingo last night, and coming home on my bike I realized how very dark it was. I guess there was very little moon, plus it was overcast, further limiting the amount of light which came through to the street. Luckily, I didn't have far to go, but it was a bit nerve wracking anyway, specifically because I was on my bike, making me afraid that I would run into someone before either of us saw each other. My solution? I whistled, so people would hear me coming. It worked, too (I didn't run into anyone on my way home, and I did see several people going the other direction on their bikes).

One of my fellow Bingo volunteers, Lou Ann, didn't fare as well on her way home in the dark. She tripped going up the stairs at the school (cutting through from the Firehouse to School Road), and broke her arm. Ouch!

Here's an odd truth about darkness on the island: one of the darkest spots in the Village is right by the Lighthouse! Of course, that's because the light shines straight out, not down, and is 75 feet above the roadway, but it's still a little ironic in my opinion.

I recently learned that the area near the Lighthouse will be even darker than usual for a while, starting some time soon. The interior of the structure is being renovated, and the work will include turning off the light for about two months, a fact which makes me slightly sad, even though that does not make logical sense in any way since I am not a mariner and therefore don't need it for navigation. I guess I need it for emotional equilibrium...or something like that!

Hope it's not too dark, wherever you are!

2 comments:

Woodduck said...

You should be able to rig up somethng to hold a flashlight on the handlebar or just carry a little on.
I live on a dark street on Bodie and was walking my daughter's black lab on a long retractable
leash and she was on the opposite side of the street.
She had just come back to me when a bike sped by in the dark. They would have possibly had a serious wreck if they'd hit the lead, 'cause the lab is huge.
The biker never saw us on that dark of the moon night.

Ocrakate said...

That's a really good point Woodduck, and I don't even need to rig anything up, I can just put a flashlight in my bike basket. But that would require remembering to take one! :)

So glad the dog had just come back to you when the bike came by, 'cuz that would've been painful for the biker if not! Whew...makes me wonder about how many near misses we miss (i.e. we're not ever really aware of how close we came to some form of pain or problem).