Sunday, July 19, 2009

RIP Rileys

Well, Riley's has earned the new record for the shortest length of time a restaurant was open in the building which seems to be the downfall of all such establishments. (Perhaps someone should try a gift shop or something else in that space, or turn it into a residence!)

Anyway, Riley's closed on July 5th, after having been open only a few months.

The sign that they had posted at the road, presumably to draw attention to their presence and direct people to find them, is now leaning up against a fence, partially hidden by a cedar tree.

4 comments:

Tammy Elrod said...

Kati,

I am not familiar with this restaurant. What did it replace and where is it? Did you like it?

Any ideas on what may go there?

Tammy

Tom in Plano, TX said...

I can't say that I'm surprised. I tried them out while I was on the island in May. While the food was ok, I found that the owner didn't have a good sense of what it would take to be successful on the Island.

Ocrakate said...

Tammy ~ Rileys was in the building which was most recently "Mango Loco". It was "Sargasso" before that, "Saucy Shrimp" before that, and several other things before that! I haven't heard anything yet re: what may go there next, but it sure would take a brave soul to take on that spot! The building and property are for sale, so perhaps someone will buy it and re-purpose it entirely. We'll see...

Tom - you hit the nail right on the head! The food was good, but the folks did seem to be a bit detached from what they would need to make it work (for example, strong local support is much more important than I think they thought it was). Plus I wondered if they were aware of the difficult history of the building...not that that should be a decision maker or breaker, but if you know how many others have had a tough time in that spot, I think you would do whatever it takes to figure out everything you need to do to make a go of it, and try every single angle. I didn't get the sense they did that. (But that's just my perception and I could easily be completely wrong.)

Tammy Elrod said...

Thanks for the update! We went there when it was Mango Loco and we weren't impressed with the food or the service (we were the only people there, too - should have been our first clue!).

Tammy