Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Auction - Ocracoke style!

I went to the annual OPS fall membership meeting tonight, which included several different elements. We started with a potluck, which in my book is always a good thing. After dinner, there was a short membership meeting, during which the blank on the page pictured here...



...got filled in with a name. My name. Somebody should probably stop me before I volunteer again! Just kidding - I'm actually really looking forward to being more involved with OPS.

Then, we enjoyed the performance of a couple of songs from the musical Blackbeard, performed by two guys named Dave - Frum and Senseney.



Finally, there was an auction of unique (and some historical) Ocracoke items.



The auction was hilarious. Yes, that's right, hilarious. I know that "hilarious" is probably not a word usually associated with auctions, but this one was really funny, in true Ocracoke style. You see, the thing about an Ocracoke auction is that almost everyone participating knows everyone else by name, including the auctioneer (which was Charles Temple this time, as Philip - who usually leads Ocracoke auctions - was off the island). This fact leads to some rather amusing exchanges, such as:

Charles (to Vera, trying to encourage her to bid the price on another item as high as she had bid the previous one, much to her husband's (good natured) chagrin): Come on Vera, bid on this one!
Vera (indicating her husband Ralph): He made me put the paddle down!
Charles: Give her the paddle back, Ralph!

Me (to my friend Jen): You should bid on that!
Jen: Be quiet!
Charles: No, don't be quiet!

Carol: I'm out!
Charles (to Carol's husband, to get him to encourage Carol to bid more): Tom!
Tom: Was she bidding?


(bid was at $55, with Brian winning over Tom's previous bid of $50, when Charles momentarily lost track of the current amount)
Charles: where was I?
Tom: you were at "sold for $50"!

And there was a really heartwarming moment, too.

Merle (realizing that she was bidding - on an item made by Butsie Brown - against the person who now lives in Butsie's former home): Oh, you should put that in your house! (Then she stopped bidding, so he would win.)

Aaaaaw. I love an Ocracoke auction!

No comments: