Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Moonlight and angels

I just returned from an evening drive (and touching salt water, of course). It is a lovely, quiet night. I usually turn on a light as I leave, so I don't stumble in the dark when returning, but tonight there was no need. The moon provided plenty of light. It's not a full moon, but it is an extraordinarily clear night, so all the illumination streaming from the 3/4 moon is spilling all the way to the ground.

I hadn't driven far from my home when I saw an angel. No, I'm not having heavenly visions, or hallucinating. This was one of the decorations provided by the electric company, that the Fire Department puts up on power poles around the village each year. There are angels and snowflakes, and seeing them always gets me in the holiday mood. I have always loved Christmas, but I love it especially much on Ocracoke!

The weather has been beautiful - warm, sunny days with clear blue skies. The evenings have been lovely too. Tonight is completely still; Silver Lake looked like a mirror as I stopped to touch salt water there. And the village is always quiet at this hour - I only saw one other vehicle on the road during my brief trip. It left me with a sense of stillness and peace. So I pass on that peace to you, my friends and readers, wherever you are on this fall evening.

No comments: