Thursday, November 15, 2007

A beautiful day of looking at the future

I have just spent the evening looking at the future. But in order to explain, I have to start with what I did this morning. I went to the school, as I do on Thursdays, to read to the first graders. First, I went to the Book Fair and bought several books for the classroom. While there, I saw two of Ocracoke's younger citizens, Mariah Daisy (about 17 months) and Lachlan (3). They were busily shopping for books with their Mamas, Sundae and Amy, and I enjoyed watching them. I bought several books, then I went and read two of them to the first graders.

Tonight, I went to an art show. The featured artists were the children of Ocracoke school, from pre-kindergarten on up through the grades. They had created lovely prints, which were available for sale to raise money for the PTA. Many of my friends attended, along with their children. I sat and looked around the room at the young faces and smiled, thinking about the future. I look forward to reading to Mariah Daisy when she is in the first grade classroom, in a few years. And to seeing all of these children grow into adults and have children of their own.

After the art show, I went to a small gathering of musicians, sort of a jam session at a home rented by another musician from Vermont who is staying here for several weeks this month, and had invited all his musician friends from the island to play at the house this evening. It was a great time, with a spread of delicious-looking food (I had already eaten dinner, so didn't taste much, but it looked fabulous!) to go along with the musical entertainment. I did enjoy a glass of wine Marcy brought me. But what I enjoyed most was holding Marcy and Lou's daughter Charlotte, one of the island's very youngest residents (she was born in August). I held her for most of the evening while Marcy and Lou played and sang. And I loved looking down into her sweet face, and thinking about the future. What a blessing to be here and watch Ocracoke's future as it becomes.

No comments: