Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My sister is getting married!

I am so excited to be part of helping my sister plan her wedding, which will be here on the island. We (my sister, my mom, one of my sister's best friends (who will be a bridesmaid), two of her other friends, and I) went with her to pick a wedding dress while we were visiting in Colorado Springs for Labor Day weekend.

She'll be getting married on Sunday June 5, 2011. She will, I promise, look absolutely stunningly gorgeous in the dress she picked. Which is NOT one of the ones pictured below...thank goodness. (Fair warning: I am pretty cynical about things like the multibillion dollar wedding industry, and I honestly think that keeping up with what's in fashion is completely irrelevant, so I will be making fun of these dresses in this blog. It's not that I don't think a girl should have the wedding of her dreams - she absolutely should, and I LOVE wedding planning more than I love most other things in life - I just think women should be sure to get what they want, not what the industry tells them is "in style" or something they simply "must have" because everyone this year has one...)

Okay, so that said, bring on the dresses!

Cleopatra...



...with a cape!



This one actually isn't too bad. And that IS the veil she'll be wearing, so don't look too closely at it!



Wrapped in a sheet...



...with an unfortunately placed bit of beading. Seriously? Just above the bride's rear end? Whose idea WAS that?



Flowery boobs. I tried to keep my face neutral as Jocelyn emerged from the dressing room in each gown, not wanting to influence her choice (I seriously would have supported her and loved her in whatever she chose, even if I thought it was hideous - everyone has their own taste, and it's her wedding not mine). But I failed with this one - she could tell right away that I hated it. It might not have been so bad if there had been flowers elsewhere on the dress, too, but those were the only ones. Right across the boobs. Yikes.



Not bad, except for the embellishment which looks like an arrow. Pointing to? Do NOT leave a comment answering that question, LOL.



We didn't like the lace on this one, but I adore this picture of my sister!



More sheet wrapping. That's apparently "in style" this year.



We actually liked this one fairly well...just didn't like the way the lace pattern petered out down the skirt...looked like the flowers fell off!



This one we also liked, it just wasn't quite as fantastically gorgeous as the one she chose. The clips are because they didn't have one in her size to try on...although funnily enough they are close to the color of the bridesmaid's dresses (which we also chose while in the store...it was an epic 4 hour process, and we were there until they closed).



I will post many, many pictures of the actual dress - but not until after June 5, 2011!!

4 comments:

connorsmommy said...

i actually STILL like the cleopatra.. i dunno what it is.. i like it. goodness im attractive.. hahaha

Unknown said...

im so glad jocelyn picked the dress she did!!! eric, you're going to be blown away! i liked seeing the rejected dresses

Ocrakate said...

Jocelyn - LOL! I'm glad Jessie and I were there to save you from Cleopatra. :) And yes, you are gorgeous and even the ugly dresses looked good on you. Mwah!

Cat, I'm also glad she picked that dress. It's just beyond gorgeous and it makes her look FANTASTIC. Eric will, indeed, be blown away. Hopefully he won't fall into the water, LOL!

connorsmommy said...

just so you know.. after looking at these, eric said, and i quote "i nearly pooped my pants looking at the rejects" so yeah- the winner will definitely require an adult diaper and someone to catch him.