Wednesday, September 29, 2010

1st grade pirate party

As I've mentioned before, I read to the first grade class once a week (most weeks, anyway). This year, the first couple of books I took to read to them were "How I Became a Pirate" and "Pirates Don't Change Diapers" by Melinda Long and David Shannon, which are both hilarious. When I arrived with those particular books, it was quite fitting (and the kids were quite amazed at the coincidence): Leslie had read them "A Pirate's Guide to First Grade" by James Preller and Greg Ruth (which is also hilarious), and one of the kids had brought a pirate book for show and tell. Mary Ellen decided the year was off to such a good pirate start that we should throw a pirate party. So throw a pirate party we did.

The kids wore their best pirate costumes.



There was lots of laughter. (I love this picture of Mary Ellen! I think I just really like pictures of people laughing! They look so relaxed and natural.)



Jackson was very much into the pirate thing, posing and saying "Aaarrggh" every time I pointed the camera at him.



Captain Rob was on hand to tell pirate tales...



...and play some pirate tunes with Fiddler Dave.



Then Dave read the kids yet another great pirate book (of which I cannot remember the name).



Brandt pulling his best pirate face.



Leslie served delicious pirate fare: bleeding grog (aka Sprite with fruit punch ice cubes), and dead man's fingers (aka pepperoni).





And then she shared the treasure: chocolate gold coins, skull rings, and skeleton bracelets.



Mary Ellen and Lou Ann looked fantastic in their pirate garb. A big thanks goes to Teach's Hole Blackbeard Exhibit and Pirate Specialty Shop for loaning the costumes.



It was a really fun way to spend an hour on a Friday morning. Aye, that it was.

No comments: