Saturday, April 24, 2010

Portsmouth Homecoming

I have been wanting to go to a Portsmouth Homecoming event for years (ever since I heard of Portsmouth, basically, which was nearly a decade and a half ago). I moved to Ocracoke in late 2004, and had already missed it for that year. I wasn't able to go either of the last two even-numbered years because of running a B&B (2006) and traveling for Connor's birth (2008), so I was really looking forward to this year's event, and nothing was going to keep me away. I wasn't disappointed. Here are some pictures so you can experience it vicariously (assuming you weren't also there).



One of the things I loved about the theme of homecoming this year, which was "Portsmouth Lives", was the fact that in order to bring the village back to life, there were people sitting on the porches and in the yards of some of the houses, engaging in pastimes previously practiced and enjoyed by island residents, such as quilting. These particular quilting hands belong to my friend DeAnna.

Ribbon cutting to officially open the new exhibits, which are not only in this building (the Visitor's Center), but also in some of the others (the Post Office and School, specifically).



Homecoming every other year is your only chance to mail something and have it postmarked Portsmouth. Dale did a great job of carefully applying the special stamp, so it would be legible on the envelopes but still meet the requirements for postage cancellation.

I loved seeing the church full of worshipers...


...and hearing it full of music!

Speaking of music, Molasses Creek provided the entertainment during the "dinner on the grounds" portion of the day.

Roy Willis worked on decoy carving in the yard of a nearby house.

The oldest living person born on Portsmouth, Dot Salter Willis, who is in her 90s, traveled to Homecoming in style!

Now here are some pictures which show why I love Portsmouth so much.

I love salt marsh and black needle rush.

I love old cemeteries, especially ones that peacefully coexist right next to houses.

And I love old trees, adapted to the harsh saltwater and wind environment of the islands.

There are plenty of all of the above on Portsmouth!

No comments: