Thursday, April 8, 2010

Censused

Recently, I had been hearing from friends (mostly via Facebook postings) about receiving their Census mailings, and I had started to wonder where ours was since we hadn't gotten one yet. Then, this morning, the doorbell rang. When you live on an island where many of the homeowners don't actually live in their houses (they are second/vacation homes or rentals), you get an actual live census taker at your door to ask you the questions. The process took just a few minutes, after which we chatted with the lady (who was from Hatteras Island) for a bit. I actually enjoyed it! Of course, I often enjoy the little things that are different as a result of living here - it's a reminder of just how special and unique Ocracoke is, and how lucky I am to get to live here.

No comments: