Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ghosts, giggin', graveyards, GPS and grub

I am not sure how it is possible to pack so much fun into a slightly-over-24 hour period, but here's what I've been up to since my last blog.

- Went on a ghost and history walk and heard many fascinating and spooky tales of the island, from shipwrecks to wandering spirits.
- Went flounder gigging with a small group. We got in at midnight, and I had to get up at 6:30 the next day but I didn't care! We didn't get an flounder either (we saw one and David stepped on one), but it was still a lot of fun.
- Walked through several of the old graveyards on Howard Street and heard about who is buried there, and how they are related to each other and to people I know who still live on the island today.
- Used GPS units to navigate to the sites of shipwrecks. For the most part, this involved walking on the beach on a beautiful day, but we did find one wreck site with a large piece of the ship exposed, which was fascinating. On the way back to the village, we explored Loop Shack Hill, which is a WWII historic site on the island. More about that in another blog (remind me if I forget!)
- Enjoyed a fabulous shrimp boil, complete with salad, baked beans, and baked potatoes at the Soundfront Inn (now a privately owned home). After the meal, we made s'mores on the bonfire while being entertained by several very talented musicians: John Golden, Bob Zentz, Fiddler Dave, and Gary and Kitty Mitchell.

Whew! No wonder I'm tired. But it's a good tired. I would love to do this kind of thing more often. Maybe not all within a 24 hour period, though!

No comments: