Saturday, October 20, 2007

Beginnings

I have been off the island for a few days (well, I've been back for a few days now too, but just now finally finding time to blog). I went to be with one of my very best friends who had a baby on Tuesday. We knew the baby would arrive on Tuesday, since his birth was a scheduled C-section, so the trip was planned. John Alexander arrived right on time and is a sweet baby boy. Congrats to my friend and new mama, Julie!

Today on the island we celebrated a new beginning, too, with the grand opening festivities for the Ocracoke Campus of the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching (NCCAT). The organization completely re-furbished the former Coast Guard station on the harbor (you've probably seen it - the white building with red roof, on the left of the Ditch as you come in on the ferry), and today was the official opening of the building. It was an absolutely perfect fall day, warm and sunny but not too hot. After the speeches, we got to tour the facility. It is beautiful, with individual rooms (with private baths) for up to 24 teachers who will attend seminars there. But the absolute best part of getting to walk around the building was the panoramic view of Silver Lake harbor, the Ditch, and Pamlico Sound from the lookout tower. The sunlight dancing on the water was mesmerizing and I spent several minutes up there, staring out the windows at this place I love so much. This evening I attended the "Seafood Fest" dinner, which was delicious and great fun, from the lovely sunset to the dancing under the stars to music by Martin and Friends. And the fun is not quite over! Tomorrow, NCCAT is hosting a cookout for the Ocracoke community, which I plan to attend as well.

Also tomorrow, there will be another beginning, as the first annual Ocrafolk School kicks off! I have been assisting with planning for the school and will be attending the "Ocrafolk Sampler" class. I am really excited about it! You can read more about what I'll be doing and learning in the next week here. Aren't you jealous?

Hope you are enjoying fall wherever you are!

No comments: