Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Wedding

As you may have heard, Ocracoke was host to a big wedding this weekend. In case you don't know yet, North Carolina Governor Beverly Perdue's son Emmett got married here last night. A commenter left a post asking about it, so here's absolutely everything I know, which is not much at all.

- The rehearsal dinner on Friday night was at the Back Porch. They had reserved the entire place, and there were over 100 guests (just for the rehearsal dinner!) Music was provided by our very own Molasses Creek.

- The wedding was held at the Methodist Church with Pastor Joyce presiding. My friend Jamie, the usual church pianist, provided the music. The bride's uncle sang one song. The groomsmen wore brown suits with blue ties (yes, you read that right). Governer Perdue wore a royal blue 3/4 length two piece dress. The bride wore a white dress with red shoes. (Those last three details courtesy of Leslie Lanier at Books to Be Red, who saw them as they crossed her lawn on the way to the church. I am seriously curious about the story behind the bride's red shoes...)

- The reception location had to be moved on Saturday morning, as the original site was too wet from recent rains. It was moved to the Wahab house lawn (in a tent, luckily, since there were some rain showers yesterday).

During Governor Perdue's time on the island, she apparently visited the school.

That's all I know!

To answer the specific questions left in the comment:
- as far as I know, there was no special ferry for Governor Perdue; I assumed she was flown in, but I honestly don't know for sure
- no roads were closed that I'm aware of
- I don't know for sure how many people attended the wedding, although just judging from the fact that the rehearsal dinner had over 100 people there, I assume it was a rather large event!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We where on the island until Saturday and heard the Governor was there. I did not notice anything unusual or special regarding her visit.

Michael said...

Folks on Ocracoke are rarely impressed by visiting dignitaries -- especially politicians. Now a musician or poet, that's something else. And that's the way we like it.

Ocrakate said...

So true, Michael! Your comment reminded me of one of my favorite quotes from Carl Goerch's book Ocracoke:
"You may have all the money in the world, be known all over this country, wield all kinds of influence but it won't get you anywhere. If the people on the island like you it's because of you, yourself. If they don't like you, it's for the same reason."