Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Happy fall!

Today is the first full day of autumn, which (in my opinion) is the best time to visit Ocracoke. The weather is still warm (most days), the water still comfortable for swimming, the village quieter than it is during summer, there's still music at Deep Water Theater most nights (as well as at the Jolly Roger, Creekside, and Howard's Pub), and most restaurants are still open. About the only thing we don't have for a fall vacation is changing leaves. But I think that everything we do have more than makes up for that minor shortcoming.

I've been going to the beach every morning, sitting in my chair and reading a book, and it has been difficult to pull myself away. I envy the people who are here on vacation and can spend hours (or all day) there.

Happy fall, wherever you are...

6 comments:

Debbie Leonard said...

When I come to Ocracoke to camp in the summer, I do spend hours every day in my chair, reading! It helps me regenerate!

Tammy Elrod said...

Hi Kati, how are you feeling. I was sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well.

We are getting sooo excited about our upcoming trip to the island. I totally agree with you about the fall. It is the best time to be on Ocracoke. We leave a week from this Saturday and we cannot wait!

Take care of yourself and I hope you are feeling better.

Tammy

Ocrakate said...

Spending hours in a chair on a beach, reading a good book is my idea of paradise!

Thanks Tammy - I'm feeling better most of the time, although still not 100% unfortunately. Hope you have LOADS of fun on your trip!

Celia said...

A week from today I will be watching the sunset on Ocracoke! I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

Ocrakate said...

Hi Celia - I hope you have a total blast while you're here, and that the sunsets will be gorgeous for you.

John and I are planning to go on the Windfall sunset sail next Saturday (Oct. 3, our anniversary). If you enjoy sailing and decide to go that night while you're here, I'd love to meet you. (I'll be the one on the boat with the obviously much older husband. Well, hopefully, I'll be the only one, so you can pick me out and introduce yourself if you're there!)

Debbie Leonard said...

Hi Kate,
When my daughter and I were camping in Ocracoke over July 4th, I'm sure we must have crossed paths a few times; we went to church at the Methodist church both Sundays and we were at Bingo.

Next time I come, maybe we can meet and say hello too!

I love reading your blog; I like to keep up with what is happening on the island. Have a good day!