Sunday, November 19, 2006

Yard sales and blue glass bottle trees

It has been a month of yard sales in November. There were 2 yard sales on each of the first two Saturdays of the month. We went to all of them, and picked up some good stuff: several books, some holiday decorations, and even Christmas gifts! One of the yard sales on Nov. 4th was hosted by the Ocracoke United Methodist Church, and included lunch (soup and sandwiches). We got there late, so we missed the soup which sounded like it had been delicious. (The sandwiches were still good, though!)

Learning from our mistake, we went EARLY to the one yard sale on Nov. 11th at the other church on the island (Ocracoke Assembly of God) which also included food. They also had soups (including chili) and sandwiches, as well as fabulous home-made dessert items ("bake sale" style). Of course, I had to get several things (it was hard to choose!), and officially get the holiday weight gain process started, LOL.

I noticed at the Assembly yard sale, there were several items which I had seen the weekend before at the Methodist yard sale. It was then that I remembered overhearing a comment at the end of the sale at the Methodist church: as the ladies who had organized the yard sale were packing up what was left, they talked about taking the items to the other church. It was lovely example of the sharing that happens on Ocracoke ~ regardless of denomination or personal beliefs. Another example which comes to mind is the fact that the small Catholic congregation on the island meets in the Methodist Church Rec Hall, since they have no building of their own. We are all God's family, loving and appreciating one another and the beautiful island home with which He has blessed us.

We were late for the yard sale this weekend, because I didn't know about it until a couple of hours after it started. When you live on Ocracoke, you simply must go to the Post Office on a daily basis if you expect to keep up with all that is going on around the village. I had not been there in several days and so had missed the sign announcing this particular sale until Saturday morning at about 10:00 AM (the sale was from 8:00 - noon). Late or not, I wanted to go to this particular sale based on who was having it - Merle, a lovely lady with unique, eclectic taste. I knew I would find something there I would like! And I did, buying several things (a few of which will be given as Christmas gifts).

The first thing I noticed as we arrived at the house (even before I looked at the yard sale tables and products) was a tree with blue glass bottles hanging in it. It made a lovely image, the blue of the bottles contrasting nicely with the green of the tree. The light sparkling on the bottles gave it a festive air, and the soft sounds of bottles tinkling together as the wind blew was as sweet as any wind chime. I commented on it to Merle, and she taught me something I had never heard before. She told me of a superstition which states that "bad spirits" like blue glass bottles, so if they find them they go into them, but then cannot determine how to get back out through the narrow neck. The belief goes on to state that if you hang the bottles outside your home, you will not be bothered by bad spirits. I don't know about that, but the display will certainly look and sound lovely anyway.

No comments: