Monday, November 27, 2006

A minor epiphany

I walked to a small sound-side beach area this evening to see the stars and touch salt water (something I like to do every day). While there, I had a realization about a reason I love Ocracoke (one of hundreds, or perhaps thousands, but one of which I had not been conscious before).

I have often reflected on the fact that I get a real sense of the peace of God when I look at wide expanses of water (it has to be oceans or wide sounds; lakes where I can see the other side don't work for me). I experience the ocean as a wonderful metaphor of God : so big that I cannot see or understand it all, yet something in which I can fully immerse myself. So my epiphany this evening was that the reason I feel so safe here, the reason I often feel "watched over" (in a good way: God and/or guardian angels watching me), is because I am completely surrounded by water. (Yes, Virginia, the water does go all the way around the island...) No wonder the peace of God is so prevalent for me here.

Be at peace, wherever you are!

No comments: