Thursday, December 14, 2006

Twinkling lights

We have had some lovely warm weather here for the last few days, accompanied by very clear skies. I have walked outside late (after 10 or 11 PM) on the last few nights, and have enjoyed seeing thousands of stars. One night, while standing and looking out at the water and the stars, I noticed a lighted outdoor Christmas tree to my right. Then, as I walked back home, I saw a lighted angel down the street. (Tideland EMC, our electric company, puts stars and angels up on some of the poles around the village with the help of the Fire Department). Finally, I looked up and saw my favorite "nightlight", the Lighthouse. (Yes, I do think of the Ocracoke Lighthouse as my personal nightlight, although I'm happy to share with everyone else!)

By the way, the Lighthouse is looking truly excellent during the day as well, as it is in the process of being repainted. So far only the primer coats have been completed, but it already looks much whiter and cleaner than it has in a while.

I enjoyed all of these lights and hope to go see them on many more warm, clear evenings. Many of the seasonal celebrations this time of year, regardless of the culture or religion, have in common a celebration of light. Christmas celebrations traditionally included candles on trees, replaced by the modern (and safer) electric lights in the more recent past. Hannukkah, of course, is the Jewish "Festival of Lights" and includes lighting candles each evening. St. Lucia celebrations in Switzerland include lighted candles on headdresses worn by young girls. Kwanzaa involves lighting candles to remember the core values of the African American community. I'm sure there are more examples. Whatever your culture or religion, I hope that you enjoy your celebration and that there is plenty of light (literal and figurative) in your life.

No comments: